Until now, I used the “Google XML Sitemaps” plugin. A memorandum of investigation when I was happy that I could delete one plugin if it was provided as standard WordPress.
Environment: WordPress 5.5, PHP 7.3.21
Immediately after updating to 5.5, the site map provided is displayed when you access /wp-sitemap.xml.
WordPress Standard XML Sitemap Understanding/Cautions
- The page list/post list, category list, and user list are published as a site map.
→ Note that the user list will be disclosed to the outside
→Google XML Sitemaps 4.1.1-disables the WordPress standard XML sitemap
- You can not set the operation on the management screen
→ you need to hook to change the operation
- Does not automatically notify Google when new posts or updates (Google XML Sitemaps do)
→ Need to hook to change operation
Migrating from Google XML Sitemaps
I do not want to publish the user list, so it is necessary to hook it to “wp_sitemaps_add_provider” to control it. Click here for details.
- Deleted the description of rewrite for Google XML Sitemaps Plugin set in nginx
- To send an updated Ping to Google when posting, hook to “transition_post_status”
Reference: Post Status Transitions | WordPress Codex
Reference: Creating and sending site map-Search Console Help
- Google does not automatically collect XML sitemaps in the first place. Send using robots.txt or Search Console.